Associate & Engagement Manager | RESTRUCTURING
WHO WE ARE
Oliver Wyman is a global leader in management consulting. With offices in 60 cities across 29 countries, Oliver Wyman combines deep industry knowledge with specialized expertise in strategy, operations, risk management, and organization transformation. The firm has more than 5,000 professionals around the world who work with clients to optimize their business, improve their operations and risk profile, and accelerate their organizational performance to seize the most attractive opportunities.
Oliver Wyman offers a complete management solution and "one-stop-shop" approach to turning around companies. We act as an impartial and trusted advisor to companies and their financiers as they take on the challenges of strategic, operational, and financial restructuring.
As a global team, we place a high priority on developing sustainable restructuring concepts that address the market environment and competitive success factors in addition to short-term liquidity and sustained financial viability. Oliver Wyman acts as an objective expert and a neutral third party who provides quantitatively supported advice to address the interests of management, shareholders, lenders, and other stakeholders.
We believe that every company’s situation is unique and that taking decisive action can preserve and maximize value. We offer hands-on support and work with constituents directly in times of crisis. Additionally, we help our customers build stronger, more innovative businesses, that are better positioned for sustainable growth.
Deep Understanding of Restructuring Topics
In devising sustainably successful restructuring approaches for clients, we draw on our deep base of industry expertise, our far-reaching capabilities in performance improvement, and our solid grasp of the needs and options of various financing parties (i.e. sponsors and lenders). We take an integrated approach in this work and base our restructuring concepts on four pillars:
1. Strategic repositioning: we help our clients to focus on core markets and potentially profitable business fields. Business operations that destroy value will be closed or divested.
2. Business model redesign: we optimize a company's customer, product, and technology portfolio, define core skills, and bring the organization into alignment with the strategy
3. Operational excellence: The focus is placed on lean organizations and processes. In addition, purchasing and the entire supply chain are optimized.
4. Financial viability: On the basis of the strategic repositioning work, the value-focused business model, and operational-excellence programs, we determine liquidity needs and the requirements for a sound capital structure through the use of integrated financial planning. This creates the foundation for a financing concept that optimally weighs the interests and decision-making freedom of all participating parties.
THE ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIESExperienced professionals bring us the know-how to make lasting change for our clients and our company. We are not typical ‘management’ consultants. We provide industry- and discipline-specific knowledge and expertise, which amplifies our impact and helps us shape the future for our clients. Oliver Wyman is a diverse, entrepreneurial, non-competitive partnership of individuals who like to pursue new opportunities or build a unique franchise doing what they do best in a collegial, fun environment.
ASSOCIATES break down complex problems into discrete tasks, identifying the key aspects of a problem and directing the focus of junior consultants to those elements. You will effectively plan and execute analysis as well as identify the core issues in complex analyses in order to be able to craft suitable recommendations. You’ll work side by side with clients and your project team members to move projects forward and manage small teams to get the work done. Clients and colleagues look to Associates for unique insight into the subject area which they have chosen
ENGAGEMENT MANAGERS are the on-scene leaders who run our projects day to day. You will lead the team through an efficient and effective problem-solving process from initial thought process through convergence on a solution. You will ensure that recommendations are correct, practical, sensible, relevant and cohesive. It’s a role that demands thought leadership at the strategic level – and command of all the technical and operational details of execution. You will need great communication skills and the ability to forge strong relationships.
YOUR ATTRIBUTES AND EXPERIENCEClients hire Oliver Wyman for specialized expertise, the ideal candidate will have most of the following:
- At least 2-3 years of relevant restructuring experience, ideally with a top-tier strategy consulting firm, Big 4, investment bank, or private equity firm
- Hands-on experience in analyzing businesses including financial performance and liquidity
- Ensure 80/20 Approach to quickly draw conclusions and make data-driven recommendations.
- Strong analytical and synthesis skills and ability to conduct and leverage sophisticated analyses to identify trends, draw conclusions and present recommendations.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills in both formal and informal settings.
- Fluent in German and English.
- An undergraduate or advanced degree from a top academic program with a strong GPA.
- Willingness to travel.
- Know how to take the initiative, seeking out opportunities to learn new skills and put the ones you’ve already got to good use.
- Have an aptitude for analytical work, like sniffing out clues in massive data sets or hunting down the key issues in a hugely complex challenges
- Not just intelligence, but creativity too: you’ll be ready to come up with novel ideas to solve our clients’ biggest problems.
- A willingness to work fluidly and respectfully with our incredibly talented team.
OUR VALUES & CULTUREWe’re serious about making OW a rewarding, progressive, enjoyable and balanced place to work.
- Self starters and free thinkers who work well in a team
- We are individuals who are motivated, energetic, entrepreneurial about what we do
- Common aspiration, collective endeavour, shared success
- We have the common aspiration to have an impact, leave a legacy and change the world. We have no interest in running a steady-state business. We want to build, grow and shape the environment around us
- Straightforward, open, respectful interaction
- We value an environment where every member of Oliver Wyman is encouraged and expected to voice his or her opinion
- Opportunity without artificial barriers
- We value merit and believe that to create a true meritocracy we need to remove artificial barriers to opportunity
- Balanced lives
- We value people whose lives balance work and non-work activities because we believe they are both more interesting colleagues and are able to make better contributions to the Firm. We push ourselves hard to deliver excellence, but we also work to extract the maximum benefit from the flexibility of a project-based business. We provide the ability to take career breaks for personal or family reasons. We fundamentally value each other’s time, and are sensitive to how it is used. We are an output not input-based culture, have respect for people’s personal decisions, and believe that one's workload must be sustainable. We seek balance for ourselves and our colleagues.